Saturday, September 5, 2009

Food and beer this summer

I did a fair amount of traveling over the summer and I'd like to briefly recount the highlights and lowlights of that which I ate.
Lets starts with a low. Berlin, a vegan restaurant called Cafe V -- after spending the entire day wandering through the city seeing the sites I was in dire need for a nice relaxing meal. I found my way to a nice restaurant my cousin had mentioned (a friend had told her about the place). I found a seat outside of the place and considered my menu options. It was nice to have so many options, especially after having been in Prague where my options were generally limited to one or two things on the menu. I settled on a tofu curry with zucchini. Despite sitting outdoors, I could not escape the annoying cigarette smoke which wafted towards me from the other few patrons outside. There were probably three people sitting outside, yet at any given moment at least one was smoking --- makes you wonder how they had time to eat. Besides gripping about the smoke, my other distraction while waiting for the food was the occurrences going on a little further up the block. I was convinced that there was going to be a mafia hit in the apartment building next to the restaurant. These really smarmy looking fellows kept going in and out, and going to the trunk and looking at some envelops and inside a duffel bag... But, thankfully, no hit occurred (to my knowledge).
These mob fantasies were abruptly interrupted by the arrival of my food. The dish looked very nice -- and the waitress also brought me a free order of garlic bread. Great! Well, maybe not. Upon tasting the sauce and tofu I immediately realized why I was compted the garlic bread. The tofu tasted, well, like tofu --- plain, unmarinaded, uncooked tofu. As far as the curry sauce, there are many varieties which exists but I'm pretty sure that turmeric and water does not constitute a curry sauce. The sauce was so thin and flavorless. The only redeeming elements of the meal were the zucchini and the garlic bread. But then again those are probably two of the easiest things to not mess up. As I was alone at the restaurant and had noone to gripe about it to I had a running inner monologue in which I berated the food and came up with craftier and craftier ways to insult the quality of the restaurant. Someone should really tell them that they suck --- but my German is... well... as bad as their tofu.

I had another bad food experience in Berlin, but enough bad. Despite not being able to eat much of the local fare, I had a pretty good culinary experience during my visit to Prague. First of all, I was happily surprised to discover that Prague has wild pears, apples, plums and even some figs.
[Insert photos]
The wild fruit was not as impressive as in Berkeley where the plums are super ripe and incredibly ample, as are the figs. A moment more of bashing Berlin with respect to fruit -- the last day I was there I decided to go to Potsdam which is outside of the city and where there are gigantic palaces and parks. One of the palaces had a terraced garden leading up to it. At each level of the garden were about 20 recessed sections of the terrace wall and in each of these recessions were two fig trees. In totally there were roughly 200 fig trees. Between these recessions, the wall was covered with grapes. I was hungry for a fig was had some time to spare so I decided to look at each tree until I found a fig. To keep my mouth busy during the hunt I made sure to have a constant supply of grapes (nice and sour ones). After roughly an hour of looking I had inspected every fig tree and come to the conclusion that there were no rip figs in Berlin. Such a shame considering that in Prague I had eaten some wonderfully rip figs at the Wallenstein gardens.

Beyond found fruit, Prague offered some wonderful beer and also some pretty yummy preserved fish and cabbage. The beer was super cheap and I made sure to have at least one with lunch and one in the evening every day. Half a litter of the beer cost about $1.50. Not too bad. It was always cheaper to get beer with a meal than water (which is not free there and always comes in bottles owing to old pipes which evidently make the water undrinkable). I've been lucky enough to try a lot of good beer (most recent before Prague was in San Francisco which has excellent local brewing). I thought that the Czech beer was very refreshing and smooth and drinkable, but not as interesting as Belgian or even some local American beers.

Since most of the restaurant food was patently unkosher I didn't eat out much but rather went to the super market and purchased the following wonderfully cheap and tasty items: Crusty brown rolls, Edam cheese, preserved fish (salmon or trout or sardines), arugula, sweet red pepper, watermelon and chocolate. The deals were great for these items -- more than enough smoked fish to fill me up cost something like 40 cents, and the watermelon was cheap as cheap can be. I ended up eating these items for most of my days and enjoying every bite of it.

I did have a few nice restaurant visits. At one place I bought herring (for maybe $2's) and was brought a plate with a fist sized rolled up chunk of herring with shredded onion and three bread dumplings. The herring was really fishing and really good and I definitely smelled like fish for the rest of the day. Another nice "meal" I had was a plate full of red and white cabbage which had been dressed with a nice acidic dressing. I think I surprised the waiter by getting this side dish and then eating it all myself (other groups split one of these plates among many people).

There was a kosher restaurant which I did go to one night called King Solomon's. For, by Czech standard, a fortune ($30) I had a nice three course meal there which started with a slightly nicer version of hotdog soup (it had some kosher sausage and a tomato base) and focused on a braised turkey chunk served on a tomato, zucchini, onion ratatouille. The turkey was probably the best preparation of turkey I've ever had. It was incredibly flavorful and juicy and went really well with the ratatouille.

To sum up ---
Berlin = crappy food;
Prague = limited but good food;
Fish = ate too much;
Fruit = always makes a place better in my book;
Beer = good, especially when cheap.

4 comments:

Sheel said...

Germany is pretty hard for your's and my diet. I've had a much much better time in Spain and Portugal where fish is abundant. I've also never been a fan of herring... where in SF would you recommend for beer?

SP31415 said...

When I was there a few places were pointed out to me. The coolest was a place called Toronado (http://www.toronado.com/). There is supposed to be a really awesome place in Oakland too, but I forget the name... something involving Belgian.

Anonymous said...

nice post

^^
โกเด้นสล็อต
สูตรบาคาร่า
^^

kemika7384 said...

ขั้นตอนการเล่นเกมสล็อต 918kiss ให้ได้เงินเพิ่มมากขึ้นกว่าเดิม
เมื่อคุณเข้ามาเล่นเกมคาสิโนออนไลน์ ใครๆก็อาจต้องการเล่นแล้วปราบการบรรลุผลจากการเล่นทั้งหมดทั้งปวง เป็นการเล่นแล้วช่วยทำให้ผู้เล่นสุขสบาย สนุกสนาน แถมมีรายได้จากการเล่น ไม่มีปัญหา หรือมีหนี้จากการเล่น นี่เป็นนิยามของการประสบความสำเร็จจากการเล่นเกมคาสิโนออนไลน์ ยังไงตามในวันนี้ถ้าหากคุณพึงพอใจที่จะเข้ามาเล่นเกมคาสิโนออนไลน์ โดยเฉพาะอย่างยิ่งเกมสล็อต 918kiss ซึ่งป็นเกมคาสิโนที่ได้รับการเอ๋ยถึง ได้รับความพอใจ รวมทั้งมาแรงมากมายก่ายกองเดี๋ยวนี้ ถ้าคุณพอใจต้องการทดลองเข้ามาเล่นกมคาสิโนออนไลน์ 918kiss รวมทั้งสามารถเข้ามาทำเงินจากการเล่นเกมเจริญ วันนี้พวกเรามีวิธีการเล่นเกมที่สามารถช่วยให้ท่านทำเงินได้มากกว่าเดิมมาฝาก
วิธีทำเงินจากเกมสล็อต 918kiss
สำหรับวิธีวิธีการทำเงินจากการเล่นเกมสล็อต 918kiss โน่นก็ไม่เรื่องยากเพียงแต่ผู้เล่นเกมปฏิบัติ หรือนำแนวทางการเล่นเกมสล็อตกลุ่มนี้ไปประยุกต์ให้กับตนเองมอง
• จำกัดวงเงินสำหรับการเล่นเกมคาสิโนสล็อตของตน เนื่องจากเมื่อคุณจำกัดวงเงินแล้ว คุณจะสามารถเข้ามาเล่นเกมคาสิโนได้โดยไม่ต้องวิตกกังวลว่าตนเองจะดึงเงินส่วนอื่นๆเล่นเพราะเหตุว่าติดลมจากเกมคาสิโนออนไลน์นี้
• ไม่ยืม หรือนำเงินของคนอื่นๆเข้ามาเล่นเกมสล็อต 918kiss เพราะเหตุว่าถ้าหากคุณแพ้พนันก็อาจส่งผลให้เงินที่ยืม หรือนำของผู้อื่นมาเล่นนั้นสูยไปกับเว็บไซต์พนัน ยิ่งแม้คุณขาดเงินไปคืน ก็บางทีก็อาจจะแปลงเป็นปัญหาที่เกิดขึ้นเกี่ยวกับทางการคลังตามมาได้
• สมัครเข้าเล่นเกมสล็อตในต้นแบบที่เหมาะสมกับตนเอง เพราะเหตุว่าเกมสล็อต 918kiss มีหลายรุปแบบให้ได้เลือกเล่น โดยเหตุนี้ตัวของผู้เบ่นจำเป็นจะต้องเรียนรู้และก็เลือกให้ดีว่า ตนเองนั้นเหมาะสมที่จะเล่นเกมสล็อตออนไลน์ต้นแบบไหนที่สุด ที่จะสามารถสร้างรายได้ให้กับตนเองได้เยอะขึ้นเรื่อยๆ
• เล่าเรียนรวมทั้งนำแนวทางการเล่นเกมสล็อตมาประยุกต์กับการเล่นเกมของตนเอง เพื่อเป็นการเพิ่มคุณกาสสำหรับเพื่อการทำเงินให้กับเกมสล็อต 918kissที่ตนเองเล่นอยู่ อย่างไรก็ตาม เคล็ดวิธีต่างๆที่พวกเราเอามาก็เป็นแนวทางสล็อตจากคนเล่นพนันที่บรรลุเป้าหมายแล้วทั้งนั้น
เพียงเท่านี้คุณก็จะสามารถเข้ามาเล่นเกมสล็อตออนไลน์ 918kiss ได้อย่างไม่จำเป็นต้องกลุ้มใจ และไม่จำเป็นต้องกลัวแล้วว่า จะมีปัยหาจากการเล่นเกมสล็อต 918kiss แม้กระนั้นคุ๊จะสามารถทำเงินจากเกมคาสิโนออนไลน์นี้ได้เยอะขึ้นเรื่อยๆกว่าเดิม เล่นเกมบันเทิงใจ แล้วก็ตื่นเต้นมากยิ่งกว่าเดิม ตลอดจนผู้เล่นจะได้รับประสบการณ์ของเกมสล็อตpusy888ที่ประทับจิตใจกลับไปเช่นเดียวกันด้วย ตกลงว่าถ้าเกิดคุณพร้อม และก็พอใจที่จะเข้าไปเล่นเกมคาสิโนสล็อต 918kiss รีบเข้ามาสมัครรวมทั้งเป็นส่วนใดส่วนหนึ่งกับเว็บไซต์ของพวกเราได้เลยตลอด 24 ชั่วโมง
918kiss