Friday, December 5, 2008

Pizza Dooh

For almost two and a half years I've been doing way more work to make pizza than I have too. Yesterday evening I went to a dinner at the apartment of a college friend. Her boyfriend, one of my college roommates, enlightened me as to quick and easy way to make pizza in a city: Buy the dough from your local pizzeria! Wow... that is smart (this roommate always had a knack for doing things in the most intelligent yet time efficient manner...)
This is not to say that I begrudge the hours of mixing, kneading, and rising. But to know that I could have gone around the corner to the pizzanini and payed three dollars for enough dough to make 6 pizzas... again... Wow.
And this dough was good. They made two different type of very thin crust pizzas - both featured ample rosemary. One was butternut squash thinly cut, caramelized onions and goat cheese; the other was thinly cut potato, mounds of potato mashed with rosemary and cream, and Fontana cheese.
While I'm really excited about this way of making pizza, I do want to briefly defend the merit of making your own dough. I like making half whole wheat dough... and its pretty darn hard to find a pizza joint which uses that. So, I think I will try this idea, and maybe even freeze some of the dough, and then alternate between types.

No comments: