Sunday, January 18, 2009

A new stove, and my winter diet

Upon returning from Texas I was greeted with the best present a man in his 20s can receive --- a new oven and range. It looked almost the same as my old one, however, this new GE (YAY!) stove is a million times better. Firstly, it has four working burners. Also the dials for the burners are clearly labeled and are not sticky. This means that I can smoothly control the intensity of the flame --- something which previously required great luck and hand strength. Perhaps the biggest change however is that the oven has actual temperature control. If I set it to 400, the gas will go until it gets to about 400, then it will turn off/on as necessary to maintain the right temperature. My previous oven had two temperature settings: On and as hot as ovenly possibly; and on without a flame, filling the room with gas. I appreciate the new settings available to me. Its also pretty and clean (for the moment).

Having a working oven is going to open up the whole new world of baking to me. This is slightly unfortunate because I really suck at baking. I am unable to carefully follow the directions, resulting in pretty bad products. Still, the moderate temperature oven was very convenient for making granola last night.

The other thing I wanted to address in this post is my winter diet (just what I'm eating, not my attempt to lose any weight). Yesterday I walked down to Chinatown to make my monthly (in fact is been about two months since my last trip) trip to purchase vegetables. I braved the 10 degree weather and wind and walked the mile or so with my hiking backpack tightly hung from my back. Just before my outside marketplace came into view a scary thought crossed my mind --- what if there was no market today? What if it was too cold, or if the vegis had all frozen? I resolved that if this was the case, I would buy a lot of frozen cabbage and make sauerkraut (or, as my aunt pointed out, I could use the frozen cabbage to make stuff cabbage). Upon actually reaching the marketplace, my worst fears turned out to be bested. Where there were usually ten stalls, there were only two; one of the stalls was essentially just oranges; and the one reasonable stall had a line of about a hundred people.

After just a few minutes in that line I had a realization: Why should I expect to be able to make the same purchases of fruits and vegis in the middle of January as I do in the other seasons? It is true that basically any fruit or vegetable is available year round (for the right price) but this doesn't mean that I should eat them year round. Eating foods which need to be grown in other continents due to the season is pretty wasteful (or at least I think it is). So I realized that in the winter I should try to eat more traditional winter food.

This realization actually had been percolating for a few days before surfacing. In fact, over the two days before my Chinatown trip, I had made a number of large purchases of winter food. At Trader Joes I purchased about ten pounds of dried fruit and twenty pounds of dried nuts. At the Associated market I bought about twenty five pounds of dried beans, plus a few pounds of oatmeal and some canned beets for what will be my first attempt at Borscht (stay tuned to a later post once I've done this). At the Indian store I bought some new bulgar and quinoa to complement my store house of rice and grains. At the MET market I bought a number of boxes of frozen kale (for soups).

My winter diet will mostly draw on those things which can be dried, canned, or frozen. In addition I'll use tubers and root vegetables. But I'm really going to shy away from foods which are not easily grown or stored during the winter. This is partially precipitated by the cost of these non-winter foods, but also due to my interest in exploring winter foods. Only recently have I begun making my own soup. I want to try to learn some new soups (probably from my mother). I want to work on baking, maybe make some nut/grain breads. I'm not sure how strictly I will be able to follow this diet. Luckily I seldom go shopping for single ingredients, so since I don't have any non-winter food in my apartment, I can't imagine I will make much with it. Maybe... I will even get into cooking with dried or salted fish... When in Chinatown I was very tempted to buy a large salted Mackerel. Perhaps this diet will open up new (cost/energy-effective) types of cuisine to me.

Any advice on winter meals?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i agree that it makes economic and environmental sense to eat by the seasons. (i'm trying to figure out what to do with about ten pounds of sweet potato, winter squash, and turnips that we got from our farm share.) part of the winter diet, however, has traditionally been canned summer foods--fruits, tomatoes, etc. this way people were able to get the important nutrients from summer food throughout the whole year. so what's the equivalent in our generally non-canning world (yes, yes, one could learn how to can)? how about frozen fruits and veggies? are these better? hard to say because who knows how and where they were grown. maybe you should think about doing some canning next summer....

SP31415 said...

Learning how to can has been a goal of mine for a while (along with brewing beer and making sauerkraut). I'm not sure exactly what would can well though. My main worry about a winter diet is getting enough in the way of greens. I'm not sure how well green's can. I can freeze or by frozen greens (like the kale I used today in a soup), but then there are issues like the one you raised, as well as the lack of freezer space (my freezer looks much like grandma's did, except not filled with random meat). Fruits would can pretty well. In fact, when I was in Berkeley this past summer, the friend I was staying with was preparing to can a bunch of fruit that grew in his backyard. I seems likely that I will be in Berkeley for two weeks this summer, so maybe I'll learn from him then and bring some yummy canned goods to cape cod.

Bea Elliott said...

Very good point " Why should I expect to be able to make the same purchases of fruits and vegis in the middle of January as I do in the other seasons?" I'm in Florida so my winter options aren't as restrictive... Even so, tonight's temps are in the 20's - illustrating the need to work with nature... Canning as lila suggested is probably your best plan for next year - For now, can we hope for an early spring?

Oh - and congrats on the new stove! May you cook many tasty, healthy meals on/in it :)

Sheel said...

Congrats on the new oven/stove! That's huge. Back when I was cooking more, I had actually been meaning to get into preserving things more myself... you can easily bottle items such as garlic and ginger for example (immerse them in, e.g. olive oil).

Is the friend you're referring to Greg? I think I stayed with him a couple weeks after you did, and he let me try some of the fresh plum jam he had made from his backyard tree. Delicious.

SP31415 said...

Thanks for all the well wishes on the stove. Its been pretty good so far! As far as canning, I think that, especially with garlic, you need to be very careful about botulism. The bacteria for botulism is on most unprocessed food, but is harmless in its quantities. However, when put in an anaerobic environment (such as a can with oil) the botulism rapidly multiplies. This is why heating is extremely important when it comes to canning. I remember talking to a guy affiliated with my tutoring group a while back who did a lot of canning, and he said that for each different type of food there is a different temperature which must be reached to ensure the safety of the food. I'm sure that when our ancestors were canning they were not as precise, but they probably had a very good technique none-the-less and prevented botulism and spoilage with ease.
The Berkeley friend is Greg. The plums of which you talk were wonderful fresh (a few weeks earlier), plucked straight from low hanging branches.

Bea Elliott said...

Ah... fresh plums on low branches... reminds me of a friend I knew who had a fig tree so prolific it could feed 50 people till full - My luck, he didn't care for any of them and I was able to jam up a dozen jars... I moved away, but miss the figs every year...

"I'm sure that when our ancestors were canning they were not as precise, but they probably had a very good technique none-the-less and prevented botulism and spoilage with ease."

I think you're right - I've preserved grapes, strawberries and peaches as well - never too good at following "exact" recipes either... But I haven't been sick from it yet. Maybe I got lucky? Or maybe it's portrayed as more difficult than what it really is?

Unknown said...

If its soup your looking for, heres a bomb sweet potato soup recipe I use often. I like to add some extra ginger and dont worry about Kitchen Bouqet, you dont need it.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Sweet-Potato-Soup-20107

Anonymous said...

Now, I searching for the best information for Hiking Backpacks~~*

and your Blog are very interesting too

i hope you to don't angry me to post this post for backlink

Please comeback to visit my blog too : Hiking Backpacks>

I'm sorry , If you think this is spam. but may i thank you again.