Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A loss of New York life

My sister just sent me an obituary for Joe Ades, a man whom many referred to (or knew as) the peeler man. For the last year and a half I have been a big promoter of the vegetable peeler which Joe sold to me on the upper west corner of Union Square park. On nice days, when I would have some extra time, I would often walk through the greenmarket in the park, and end up watching his demonstrations. In fact, any time I brought friends through Union Square park I would always bring them to watch him. To me, he represented the aspect of New York life which most enthralls me --- that with a critical number of people completely amazing phenomena emerge. I see this every week when I got to Streeka's for perogis, or when I go to Chinatown for their massive outdoor market, or when I go to my neighborhood kosher bakery, or to the Dosa cart, or Ess-a-bagle...
Every time I saw the peeler man he was doing the EXACT same spiel, explaining how his peelers were swiss made, and nothing made in switzerland is cheap, and how the peeler will cut so easily that even your grandmother can easily use it (my Bubbie was in fact impressed by the peeler I brought over Thanksgiving to give to my Mom).
A few months back I bought a few peelers to give as gifts. I have two left now, and I think, given that I may never have a way to get these again, that I will keep them both.
I really do feel that New York has lost one of its great characters, not to mention an excellent provider of entertainment, and peelers (the BEST available --- I really mean it).

For more about Joe read his obituary in the NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/03/nyregion/03ades.html?emc=eta1)
To see a video of Joe check out this link (thanks Kari) http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2009/02/video-legendary-nyc-vegetable-peeler-guy-salesman-joe-ades-dies.html

No comments: