Sunday, February 1, 2009

Superbowl party

I had some friends from grad school over tonight to watch the superbowl. Since I've been rather busy (and since I ate the same food I cooked a week ago, all of last week), this was my first time in a while to be a little creative kitchen-wise. The spread I put out was pretty simple, and some of my friends brought some chips etc to compliment it. One dish which a friend from Turkey brought was particularly good -- it was bulgar prepared with some spices (cumin in particular), chopped parsley, chopped green onion, tomato paste and chopped tomatoes. I imagine there was some olive oil drizzled into it too. This was certainly my favorite dish and lucky for me there was some left over!
As far as my contributions, I put out some chopped carrots and red peppers accompanied by a homemade sour-cream and onion dip. I also made some cast iron fried potato chips, which people seemed to like.
The potato chips were really easy. Just chop slices about a quarter inch thick and cook in a little oil until each side is starting to brown. Then put on paper towel, and try to get any excess oil off. Don't add salt or seasonings until right before serving.
The dip was equally easy. I diced two onions and caramelized them until very sweet. I let this cool and then added it in with a container or so of sour cream (left over from my Hanukkah party), plus some chopped green onion, garlic powder, dried parsley and dill, and a little salt. Mixed together this was popular for the vegis and the chips.
So, even though the Giants did not play this year, I still had a good superbowl.

No comments: