Thursday, October 23, 2008

Announcing my candidacy

My fellow food people. I have decided to announce my candidacy for the next food network star online rather than on broadcast television. Why you may ask --- well I believe that while TV is a thing of the past, we must strive now to integrate our history with the present. I am, of course, open to network interviews (if Katie Curic asks, my qualifications as a chef are essentially that I grew up in Poughkeepsie and you can basically see the Culinary Institute of America from there).
Enough banter though. I did print out the application and read over all of the rights I would be signing away. The app is about 12 pages, of which 5 or so ask meaningful questions. As I struggle with writing answers which will get me selected, I will likely post the questions here. But for now, one question piqued my interest: What ingredient are you most like, and why? My first thought, and likely my best thought, was the seasoning on an old cast iron pan. Think about it --- pretty darn deep. Its not something that you necessarily consume (unless you decide to cook tomatoes in the pan and destroy the seasoning) but it is integral to having the food prepared in a particular manner. It is deeply rooted in seasoning of many years past, however every new dish cooked in the pan leaves its own flavor and lay to the seasoning. Its also my favorite kitchenware to cook on. So in these ways, it kind of captures my show idea --- I want to explore the heritage of particular foods and dishes as they have developed and been flavored by different people's own methods and techniques --- in a sense I want to understand a core sample of the seasoning of the pan of our culinary history.
Well that was pretty bad, but anyway, I'll work on it.

No comments: