Monday, November 17, 2008

Borracho Beans or Meshugas Lentils

My girlfriend (yes... for all those online admirers of mine, I do have a girlfriend) suggested a recipe to me a few days ago called Borracho Beans. As I understand, Borracho means drunk, and Beans is pretty clear. Her recipe called for certain parts of certain animals which I am certain not to use. However, it seemed like the major component in the mixture was the inclusion of beer.
So, last night, as the weather became cold, I decided I would make myself something warm to eat today. Out came the crock pot (my dairy one) and into it went:
1 lb lentils
1 chopped red onion
one head of garlic
3 chopped carrots
3 bay leaves
3 sprigs of rosemary
lots of chopped hot pepper, and some dried whole red hot pepper
cumin
dried parsley and dill and savory
1 can tomato paste
salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder
1 beer
3 or so quarts water
I turned this on last night before going to sleep, and this morning awoke to a wonderful smell of meshugas (Jewish for drunk) lentils. The beer actually had a pretty good impact. Often lentils have a little too much of bland flavor. The cooked beer modifies that flavor just enough. I eat this before teaching this morning. I think I will add a little more salt into my next bowl of soup, since it still was a little on the bland side.
On a related note, I have come to appreciate the quality of my mothers soups (and generally every meal she made) as I have been cooking more and more. It seems like through my experimentation and inventivity with cooking, I often end up roughly approximating her previous sucesses.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If your mother knew how to navigate your blog, I'm sure she would tell you that she's flattered and, perhaps, feeling a little smug since we all did our fair share of complaining about her cooking when we were little.

Magda said...

yay! maybe try tomatoes instead of tomato paste next time.

Anonymous said...

your description of "drunk lentil soup" was interesting however the Yiddish word for drunk is not meshugas. Meshugas means craziness. The word you want is derived from shikkur but we don't know the right form of the word. We'll get back to you about it. Lee C.