Sunday, November 2, 2008

Persimmon Smoothies

I wasn't sure if I had slept through Persimmon season and missed out on my favorite exotic fruit buy of the year, but just a few days ago I saw my first persimmon being sold at a fruit cart. Yesterday, after a month and a half of eating my previous chinatown cache of vegis, I took a trip to the outdoor markets under the Manhattan bridge. As providence would have it, it was a great day for shopping: Not too warm or cold, lots of stands with nice looking food. There was even a man selling freshly caught fish from the east river (I had heard people do this, but yuck). After making countless purchases of vegis, plus a nice ripe pineapple, I came to the persimmon selling. The deal was 6$ for a large box of smaller sized ones, or 8$ for a large box of larger sized ones. So as not to be bothered with regrets about getting the wrong size, I bought both boxes, a sum total of 14$ for approximately 50 persimmons.
You should ask yourself (if you didn't bother reading the title of the posting) why I would ever want to buy 50 persimmons. The answer comes in the form of the silkiest, creamiest, best smoothies ever. I happened onto persimmon smoothies after a similar purchase of a box of persimmons last year. I tasted them and was not particularly smitten with their flavor --- a little honey tasting, but nothing special for me. Left with a bunch of their fruits I figured that I'd throw them in with some yogurt, and some juice or other fruits. To my surprise, the persimmon, when blended, yielded the aforementioned attributes to my smoothie.
So, I have begun my daily smoothie regiment. A few spoonfuls of plain yogurt, a persimmon or two skinned and cut in half, some orange juice, or strawberries, or blueberries, or mango etc, and some ice. Blend it up and enjoy. In fact, since I have so many, I might just freeze some for a warmer day (yes... smoothies in the late fall are not optimal, but still with ny apartment heat they way it is, you sometimes need a smoothie to cool down).
I've been considering trying to use my previous thoughts on bok choy to make a citrus smoothie with persimmon. I'll update if I do.
Also, I have been toying with using persimmon to create creamier sauces.
Lastly, as I type I have a bowl of fermenting urad dal, channa dal, and short rice sitting five feet from me. In a few hours this will be blended and hopefully will become Dosas. I will post as to the success, and more likely failure of this exploit.

No comments: