Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Yummy side dish alert, or the Cabbage Point

This one is going to be short. In my monthly (or maybe less often) ritual of Chinatown shopping I make sure to purchase vegis which will last for different periods of time. Always included in my purchase is cabbage --- both heads of cabbage and Chinese cabbage. These items last extremely long without any marked decrease in flavor or quality. So, since its been a little over a month since my last purchase trip to Chinatown, I'm getting to the point of cabbage. This is the point at which all of the greens in my fridge have disappeared, and my meals begin to draw more heavily on my remaining supply of cabbage. Having bought a good amount, this period usually lasts for about a week.
So, today I made a cabbage side dish which was simple, fast and really yummy.
I used semi-heading chinese cabbage (http://www.evergreenseeds.com/semchincab2.html). Here's the recipe

Sesame seeds
Red pepper flakes
Garlic Powder/ Onion Powder/ Salt/ Pepper (I used a Steak seasoning I like)
Semi-heading chinese cabbage
A little honey
Olive Oil

Heat the olive oil and then add the sesame seeds and pepper flakes. Let the seeds start to toast. Meanwhile chop half in wide slices of the cabbage (chop more than you think you need, since its gonna lose volume a lot). Throw the cabbage into your pan and after a little sprinkle some of the seasonings (be sure to include some salt at least) onto the cabbage. Once the cabbage has cooked add a little honey and finish cooking for just a drop more. Thats it.

I'm sure there are lots of good variations on this, so if you try it I'd like to hear what your try differently.

No comments: